Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Silly question...

  1. #1
    Inactive Member wrxgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2005
    Posts
    876
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Is there such thing as " too many" dolls? Im beginning to think my collection is getting out of hand! lol.. currently, some of my gals have to stay in boxes due to lack of display room! I also feel overwhelmed in a way in the sense that there are so many, how can I give my attention to them all? [img]redface.gif[/img] I love them all and cant part with any, but wondering if I should slow down on the doll purchasing and focus more on clothing? Those of you that have many dolls, how do you feel about having that many? Do you just display a few at a time? Have some sit on your bed? etc? I guess Im just curious as to what you all do... thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member DaisyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2005
    Posts
    646
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I only have three dolls (so far) but I have very limited space. I have been considering putting up a shelf that would line the perimeter of the room that is at the right height to display dolls in their stands. I understand your quandry. Even at only three dolls I have been feeling a little worried that getting another might be overboard. It's a hard descision, but I want to get a good mix of dolls to display. I have mainly focused on clothes, because of space, and because of money. It's a lot easier to spend $20 on ebay for several pieces of clothes than $87 on one doll!

    ~Dee

  3. #3
    AngieGill
    Guest AngieGill's Avatar

    Post

    Originally posted by wrx-gal:
    Is there such thing as " too many" dolls? Im beginning to think my collection is getting out of hand! lol.. currently, some of my gals have to stay in boxes due to lack of display room! I also feel overwhelmed in a way in the sense that there are so many, how can I give my attention to them all? [img]redface.gif[/img] I love them all and cant part with any, but wondering if I should slow down on the doll purchasing and focus more on clothing? Those of you that have many dolls, how do you feel about having that many? Do you just display a few at a time? Have some sit on your bed? etc? I guess Im just curious as to what you all do... thanks
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Funny you brought this up because I ws just thinking about this same thing last night.. I have over 1000 Kelly's. about 1/2 are removed from box and are in my display case. The rest are NRFB and I have a good bit of doubles. I was thinking that I could sell the doubles to make room (AND MONEY! LOL!) for more AG clothes in what I call my doll closet. I figure I would have to sell a good many Kelly's to buy one AG.. so I even if I DID buy a couple more AG's.. I would still be downsizing my collection.. RIGHT!?!??! LOL!!!
    Angie

  4. #4
    ponydreamer
    Guest ponydreamer's Avatar

    Post

    I am one of those people who prefers less dolls and more clothing. Doll clothing has always been a passion of mine.

    I display some of my dolls in my formal living room. I like them to look really tasteful. If I have too many, it starts to look cluttered to me.

    I sold several dolls about a year ago. I did end up adding a couple more, but I only have six dolls. I don't display them all at once, either. I have a huge clothing collection, though.

    I used to collect other dolls besides AG, but sold them all. I just collect AG now, and it has helped to bring some order to the whole thing.

    Anyway...if you are feeling ovewhelmed by your dolls, I would start focusing on their clothing and accessories. Sometimes it's fun to focus on our collections in a different way.

    Whatever you decide to do...remember....this is fun! [img]graemlins/rose.gif[/img]

  5. #5
    Inactive Member rafferty's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree with Jenny, maybe just work on the collections instead of getting new dolls. There have been many discussions on this board though about how the dolls seem to be a better "deal" than just the clothes. In our case too, family members prefer to get DD dolls vs. clothes. They think a new dolls means more to her. They are probably right, but they have also bought her several pieces of furniture for the dolls, and that too has gone over very well. I think the most magical "presents" DD has recieved have been the blue trundle bed set a couple of years ago, and Sam's sleigh last year. You do have to have the room for these items too, obviously, so clothes are the best option if that is a problem! [img]wink.gif[/img] Right now poor Kirsten has no clothes other than her meet dress. I JUST splurged and got several outfits for Addy and Molly who also barely had anything to wear. Right now we are working on getting PJ's and Christmas outfits for all of the historical girls. We need just a few more, and hopefully we can get them soon. We have been collecting for 6 years, so we really have been at this awhile. It is also the only thing other than Breyer horses that DD is really interested in toy wise. It will be interesting to see when DD gets older...how will we downsize.... [img]eek.gif[/img]

    Shelly

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Ashlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2005
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Shelly,

    Be careful downsizing as your daughter gets older even if she does seem to be less interested. I stopped collecting during high school, but I was so glad that I hadn't sold anything or given it away when I got to college and started collecting again. It was fun to realize how many retired outfits I had, and all.

    Ashlea

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Southpaw22's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2005
    Posts
    258
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi wrx-gal! I feel exactly the same!!! This was weighing heavy on my mind just today. I discovered AG only 4 months ago, and I already have 5 dolls, plus Kit's trunk, and it is filled! I was just about to place an order for #21 and #23 when I found your post! I don't have room for them either. And what is sad, is I can count at least 4 more dolls that I want! I am overwhelmed too. I have been trying to get an outfit for each season for each of them, and it is making me broke! I thought of leaving them all in their meet outfits, and just collecting for one doll, but I am finding that nearly impossible. I have discussed selling a few, but believe it or not, my husband likes the dolls too, and doesn't want me to get rid of any of them. Marisol actually belongs to him. We were just discussing tonight to rebuild our walk-in closet with special space just for the girls and a few special shelves in the bedroom. Oh, what to do! I don't think I could part with any of them. How many is too many? I see pictures from people on this board with a dozen or more dolls, and then I don't feel so bad! I say keep all the dolls, add outfits as you can, and try to find nooks and crannies for them to go in. I think that's what I'm going to do! Good luck to both of us! Dani

  8. #8
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm with Ashlea on that one, lol. I didn't really do anything with my dolls for awhile, until my dad got me Kaya on my 18th birthday, and it rekindled the whole thing! I, by the way, have not yet reached a place where I want to change the way I collect. I figure, AGs are my one vice, and I'm allowed one [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member rafferty's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2005
    Posts
    359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the advice Ashlea and Mayergirl! I hear what you all are saying, it's just I don't see being able to keep ALL of the items she does have. My guess is you all didn't have as many dolls as she does at age nine because there just weren't that many available until a few years ago. I will obviously keep as much as I can for as long as I can. Since DD is on the Autism spectrum and loves these dolls SOOO much, it is hard to say when, if ever, she will "grow" out of them.

    There are quite a few items that I just love too, especially the sleigh, and the carriage (if it ever gets here!), and F and E's things that even if she isn't interested, I will keep...they are heirlooms as far as I'm concerned!

    It is so wonderful that you all were able to save things like this from your childhood...I didn't have anything but Barbie and Dawn's and my sister pretty much trashed everything I did have.

    Shelly

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •